Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Divergent

Divergent has become one of my new favorite books.  If you liked The Hunger Games, you will more than likely become hooked on Divergent.  It is a dystopia, set in post-apocalyptic Chicago where the society is divided into five factions that focus on a particular virtue: Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent).   

The story follows Beatrice Prior, who has just turned 16 and has to make a choice to either remain with her faction and family, or choose a new path and leave her family behind.  Her choice is surprising, even to herself....but most importantly she has a secret that if discovered, could mean her death.  But as she discovers a growing conflict that threatens the society, that secret may be the key to saving everyone she loves.


This book is so good!  It has action, suspense, plot twists, a love story... I also love the way Roth illustrates Prior's internal conflict between the loyalty to her family and being true to herself.  As soon as you finish it, you will immediately want to reach for the page-turning sequel Insurgent. Roth is working on the third installment of the trilogy...should be out this fall!



Have you read this book?  
What did you think?!?

3 comments:

  1. Do you have the book? Or did you get it from the library?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this or the Hunger Games (I know! I'm the last person on earth!) but the cover of this book was very reminiscent of the HG. The plot sounds so interesting! I have a massive reading list to cover this year so I'm always looking for suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I never heard of this. I did read all the Hunger Games books. I will have to check this out.

    Ali of:

    www.dressingken.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...